Im back in the frozen north (relatively speaking).
Various items, in no particular order:
1. The following proposal appeared on the Nov. 2, 2010 Alabama ballot:
Proposed Statewide Amendment Number One (1)
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, to provide that the provision in Amendment 778, now appearing as Section 269.08 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended, which prohibits the payment of any fees, charges, or commissions for the assessment and collection of any special ad valorem tax on taxable property levied by the county commission pursuant to Amendment 778 (Section 269.08) shall only apply to any ad valorem tax first levied and collected pursuant to Amendment 778 (Section 269.08) for the tax year commencing October 1, 2006. (Proposed by Act No. 2009-286.)
Evidently the measure failed by 568,861 to 459,917 which means that 459,917 people not only thought they understood what the hell the proposal meant, but cared about it enough to vote for it.
2. From an AP story about a cruise on Lake Nasser:
The cruise includes several classy touches, like cocktails at the start of the trip as the ship sails past the Tropic of Cancer, the northern boundary of the tropics. Then as the awesome statues of Abu Simbel rise out of the waters on the final day the triumphal sounds of Verdis Egypt-inspired opera Aïda burst out of the ships speakers.
Because, yknow, nothing says class like modern music blaring kitschily at you to jerk you out of the moment as youre trying to look at ancient monuments.
3. In an interview with Olbermann last month, Nancy Pelosi warned that if the Supreme Courts horrifying defense of free speech in Citizens United were to enable corporate fatcats to pull off a Republican victory, it would mean that we are now a plutocracy, an oligarchy. As opposed to what weve been for the last two centuries?
4. A recent Quote of the Day from my local newspaper:
Adventure is not outside man; it is within. George Eliot
That would be a great tagline for Fantastic Voyage.
5. Damon Root mentions my post on Lane.
6. Check out how you can promote the cause of market anarchy by buying Christmas music.